40 Whacks with a Wet Noodle (New England Part One)

April 21, 2017 (continued)

After the New York City debacle, we managed to get through it and make it to Fall River a few hours after sunset.  Our very good friend, Josh, lives in Fall River and had agreed to show us his slice of New England.

Of course, we were very hungry after the 10 hour trip.  We dined at the Taphouse Grille downtown.  The food was delicious and the drinks were plentiful (not terribly expensive either).

After dinner, we adjourned to the Lizzie Borden Bed and Breakfast to spend the night.  The place acts as a museum and gift shop that revolves around the most horrific crime committed in Fall River.  An in-house psychic can conduct a seance for you.  You may even catch a glimpse of a ghost.  The three of us stayed the night playing Cards Against Humanity(in the Hosea Knowlton and Andrew Jennings rooms) until 1am.  I guess ghosts don’t like card games (too offensive for them?).

April 22, 2017

After waking up, we went down for our breakfast of johnnycakes, roasted potatoes, and fruit (a good breakfast).  We compared notes with others that stayed, and confirmed they didn’t see any ghosts either.  Oh well.  There was a little downtime until our tour of the premises started.  So we drove the RV to the Gateway to Cape Cod RV Park (also known as Thousand Trails).  By the time we got it there and settled, we missed the tour.  So we got in Josh’s not-so-gently used Saturn for a drive to nearby Plymouth, checking out Plymouth Rock and lobster statues dotting the sidewalks.

Then, we drove to Boston to grab something to eat at Faneuil Hall.  Of course, I got a lobster roll from Boston and Maine Fish Co. and some clam chowder from Boston Chowda Co.  Both were really good (it better be for a $22 roll).  We were so hungry that we didn’t even take photos of our food.  We ate in the communal dining hall, which is interesting (I’m told that it was a fairly slow day despite all the people there).

After eating and exploring the Hall, we felt we had enough time to view the aquarium and take a tour of the city.  We bought some tickets that allowed us to do both at a discount.  Then, we entered the New England Aquarium so we could get through as much of the place in about an hour.  There are some interesting exhibits, but very few things that we hadn’t seen before at a different aquarium.  It was cramped, but we did get through nearly all of the aquarium in an hour, with enough time to get to our tour bus.

Then, we got onto a Boston Duck Tour, which take you around the city (and the harbor) using a  WWII-style amphibious landing vehicle.  We got to see most of the important and interesting facts about Boston from our narrator (a lot of information about Colonial times and the American Revolution), who was both informative and a little eccentric.  After driving around on land, the vehicle would be driven right into the harbor for some sights along the harbor front.

After the tour, we returned to the RV park and tried to start a fire.  Raining yesterday and earlier in the day made our firewood impossible to keep lit.  So we abandoned it and called it a day.

What we wish we could do: Probably catch a few more places of interest in Boston.  Maggie and I can understand why people like this place.

What we will do tomorrow: Drive north to check out New Hampshire.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s